Saturday, August 4, 2012

1980s music at the Olympics

In between writing the final chapter of Dolphin Girl, I have been catching up on the London Olympics. I've been struck by how much of the incidental music - the tunes played between the action - comes from the 1980s.
Today, for example, I heard 'You Spin My Round' by Dead or Alive, and 'This Charming Man' by The Smiths.
Not that I'm complaining. I love it. It's the music I remember from my youth. Could it be that these are the songs the organisers feel the general audience will most readily identify with, even if much of the music harks back almost 30 years old?
I'm sure it wasn't like this when I was growing up. If, as a youngster watching the 1980 or 1984 Olympics, the interlude music was from the 1950s, I'd have been miffed.
Perhaps the music of that era (and the late 70s) is better loved generally. Who knows. I enjoy it even if it, and the Olympics coverage, distracts me from writing at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment