Monday, September 3, 2012

A spotted eagle ray

There's a tropical storm on the horizon, which in all likelihood will be a hurricane by the time it visits Bermuda this coming weekend. The storm is called 'Leslie', and while that name did not strike terror in anyone when it was assigned to this weather system, the storm is too big to ignore. The winds reach out some 200 miles from its centre and it might be a Category 2 hurricane by the time it reaches Bermuda.
Hurricanes are rated 1 to 5, with Cat 1 being the weakest and Cat 5 the most powerful. A Cat 2 will be the highest rated to have reached Bermuda since I came to live on the island.
While that remains in the background for the time being, the weather here is benign and calm. Perfect conditions, in fact, for viewing the many types of fish that abound in the semi-tropical ocean around the shore.
Two days ago, while I sat admiring the view from my favourite spot in the shade cast by a small olivewood tree on a grassy hillside by the ocean, I spied a spotted eagle ray jump out of the water. It rose maybe two feet then flopped back into the sea. It was probably hunting small fry fish - an abundant food source at this time of year. It is only the second time I've seen a ray leap from the ocean, so it was a privilege and a tad lucky on my part to have been there at the right moment early on a Saturday morning.
This weekend I sat down twice to compose three pages of the final chapter of Dolphin Girl. I'm pleased with how it is shaping up. At this stage it is all about getting ideas, story and dialogue down onto the paper. I can improve on it once it is in rough form. Doing it this way also avoids self-censorship, where I might be put off and beat myself up thinking what I've written isn't good enough. It's far easier to improve something that exists than it is to improve a blank piece of paper.
Should Tropical Storm Leslie, or should I say Hurricane Leslie, visit these shores, there will no doubt be more golden time to write away.

No comments:

Post a Comment