Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Chalking up another year

As another birthday was chalked up at the weekend I took time out to sit at my favourite spot, on a grassy hillside overlooking the calm north shore of Bermuda.
Sitting there reminded me of my birthday 24 years ago, when I was a carefree, wandering young man with a backpack hitch-hiking around West Australia. On that birthday morning I ended up sitting atop Wave Rock, an impressive natural granite feature on the edge of the remote outback near the town of Hyden.
There was no-one much around, so I could actually sit with my feet dangling over the edge, and enjoy my breakfast. I recall clearly the morning and that breakfast as I had a mini pack of Weetabix and a carton of milk - but no bowl. I had to pop some Weetabix in my mouth then drink a little milk and eat it that way, one of the many innovative adaptions that came along with life on the road.
As I sat on Wave Rock I listened to the spellbinding near silence of the Australian outback, and felt at peace and happy that I was there living life in an adventurous way and experiencing something that many may not get the chance too. I also knew, even at that moment, that I would forever recall the experience as I celebrated my 22nd birthday at an unusual spot with an unusual style of breakfast.
It doesn't seem that long ago. The memory is fresh and vivid still, yet it is just one year shy of a quarter of a century ago. Where does the time go?
Projecting an equal distance of time into the future, I see I will be 70. Now, that makes me appreciate how life's 'chunks' soon pass by - and why it is important to make the most of the time you have and not miss out on experiences and opportunities that may never come again.

No comments:

Post a Comment