Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Murray wins US Open Tennis

Andy Murray has won the US Open Tennis Championships. It was a memorable, near five-hour match.
I had not intended to spend my whole evening lying on the sofa watching the action. However, once I switched on the live link I was soon caught up in the drama of the finely balanced duel between Murray and defending champ Novak Djokovic.
It was on this very same day, September 10, in 1933 that Fred Perry, the last British man to win the US championships, won the first of his three titles - so there was a touching piece of synchronicity. Murray also becomes the first Brit since 1936 to win a Grand Slam title anywhere in the world.
Like the Olympics earlier this summer, I don't feel guilty about having been distracted away from my writing - at least for a evening of sporting magic, which I witnessed tonight. There seems to be a poetry of the human spirit on show in these titanic sporting duels. Murray the underdog finally showed he could come good. I hope he has many more successes, though it is hard to imagine a more enthralling victory than the one that ended at Flushing Meadows, New York, less than two hours ago.
I have to catch up on my writing, yes. But for now I'm uplifted by a great sporting moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment